Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Why Vegan?

Ok let's see here. This could be a long drawn out story, but I'll try to keep it short.
 
Back in 2008, I read the book Skinny Bitch and I decided to become vegetarian. It's something I had thought about doing since high school. I told myself I would do it for one year. And I loved sea food so much, that I made exceptions when my family went on summer vacation to the beach. But at the time, I didn't really know how to be healthy about being vegetarian and I thought I wasn't getting enough protein. After that year, I slowly started eating meat again.
 
My second roommate in college was the first vegan I had ever met. I just thought, "how do you do it??" But I continued eating meat, not much--the thought of cooking meat just grossed me out!
 
Back in the summer of last year, I started dating my long distance boyfriend, Scott, who has been vegan for about 6 years. Whenever I was with him, I ate vegan too (or mostly) and I enjoyed it. 
 
It wasn't until January when I stumbled upon the website Eat Right America. I filled out a food survey and got a free diet analysis which was really a wake up call to how unhealthy I had been eating. (I should have known this, right? I have a degree in nutrition!! Haha) This plan encouraged a plant based diet and gave me several recipes.
 
That's the point where I really started eating right. I started cooking a lot more and ate way more vegetables than before (yay nutrients!). I began searching the internet to find vegan recipes and fell in love with several vegan blogs. And like I mentioned in my first post, I've been obsessed with all things vegan!!
 
I love it and I think it's fun. It makes me feel healthier, plus I'm learning a lot! I feel like I have so much more control over my health and I'm doing a great thing for my body. Eat more fruits and vegetables and feel better, easy as that. Of course, I'm not perfect. I'll still eat junk food every now and then if I want. I'm learning to "veganize" so many different foods and the options are endless!
 
Oh, and I guess I kinda like animals too. Haha
 

2 comments:

  1. maggie! this is a really good, well written blog! i'm so proud. i may cry... bahaha

    ReplyDelete