Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Who doesn't love hummus?

Hummus is definitely one of my favorite foods. I always keep some in my fridge as one of my staples.

Today I attempted making my own hummus and I must say it was a success! So easy too! I don't have a food processor, so I just used a food chopper (It's pretty much a manual food processor, you turn the crank and the blades go around in a circle). You can use a food processor, food chopper, or a blender works too. And you can nearly put whatever you want into your own hummus. Today I made black bean hummus.



These are very rough measurements, I didn't measure anything except the olive oil (to control added calories). So add more of anything, for your own tastes!

Black Bean Hummus
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups black beans (rinsed)
  • 1/2 cup chick peas (rinsed)
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 2+ T lemon or lime juice
  • 2 T minced garlic (or however many cloves you want)
  • Spices: red pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, curry, sea salt
Directions:
Put all ingredients into food processor (or blender or food chopper) and blend until smooth consistency. Use as much spices as you like to taste, and just a sprinkling of sea salt to control sodium. Add more of the ingredients as you wish to get the right flavor or texture. Dig in!

Easy as that!

Hummus is great as a dip with pita chips, fresh vegetables like carrots, cucumbers, and it is wonderful to spread on sandwiches. Such a great food!

No comments:

Post a Comment