Pages

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Curry Dish

I don't know about you, but I LOVE curry. It wasn't til recently in my life that I realized this, and I'm sooo glad I did. I've never attempted to make curry, until I found this recipe from Budget Bytes and I realized how easy it is to make. Seriously, SO easy! With only a few ingredients. And that's just what I love.


Quick Curried Chickpeas

Ingredients:

1 medium yellow onion
2 cloves garlic
2 (15 oz.) cans chickpeas, drained (or the equivalent from dry beans)
1 (20 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 Tbsp curry powder
1/2 bunch chopped cilantro

Quick tip:  dry beans/peas are only $1 per pound! Talk about value!

Directions:

Water saute the chopped onion and garlic on medium heat until soft. (Just barely cover with water. It's just like sauteing with oil, without the added calories!)


Next pour in the rest of the ingredients except cilantro and stir together. Allow it to simmer.


Next chop the cilantro and add it to the pot, stirring every few minutes.


Continue simmering until sauce is thickened. You may want to lower the heat.



Serve hot and add more cilantro if you like!



It's a very inexpensive meal too. Tons of fiber, tons of protein, and some iron in there too! See, vegans eat well. People always ask about protein in a vegan diet, and here ya go! BEANS! ... or chickpeas, rather. Same thing.

1 cup of chickpeas will give you 15 grams of protein! Plus 12 grams of fiber and NO saturated fat or cholesterol. Meat can't do that!

Even if you're not vegan/vegetarian, it's a good idea to limit your meat consumption to only a few times a week. Get your protein from beans, vegetables, and whole grains. I promise, it's good for your body.

No comments:

Post a Comment