Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Cashew Cheese!

So lately I've been hearing a lot about people making dairy-free cheese out of cashews. From the minute I heard about it, I was intrigued. I imagined the process would be long and complicated, but it was super simple! I just HAD to make it.

The whole concept of cashew cheese sounds sorta crazy, but the key is soaking the cashews. That way they blend easier. (Although I did see a recipe where you didn't need to soak them... Hmm.)


Cashew Cheese

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups raw cashews. (not roasted or salted)
1 cup water
2-3 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
dash of cayenne pepper

Directions:

Place the raw cashews in a bowl and soak in water for at least 2 hours.
(I soaked mine for 3 hours, but you can soak them overnight or while you're at work.)


Place the cashews and half of the water in a food processor/blender along with all other ingredients. (You can add more water if needed.)


My manual food processor (actually, a food chopper... haha) didn't work and this is how it turned out. Needless to say, I had to switch to a blender.


The blender worked just fine. Much better texture!


And this is the final product!






See how easy??! Just soak cashews and blend everything together. It turned out soooo tasty and has tons of flavor! Some recipes tell you to refrigerate for several hours so it will set and become firmer, but you can eat it just like this. You can do so much with this cashew cheese. Eat it with crackers, as a veggie dip, a spread on a sandwich or wrap, eat it mixed in a salad, or whatever you desire. It's so versatile and yummy.

Yay vegan cheese!

3 comments:

  1. this looks soooooo good.
    stop making all this food without me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute lil photo shoot, i wanna make it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should make it! And let me know how it turns out. Maggie, we can make food together tooooo.

    ReplyDelete